Ice Cream Making with Dry Ice – Edible Experiment for Kids
Dry Ice Ice-Cream is an Edible experiment where kids can make their own ice cream with dry ice and few more ingredients. Let’s see how the dry ice works with these ingredients and gives us instant homemade ice cream.
Safety First! Adult Supervision Required. Don’t Eat/Drink your Experiments, Wear safety goggles where ever required
Materials and tools required.
Materials From Home
- Glass bowl :1
- Milk : 1 ½ litre
- Cream : 1 litre
- Sugar : 1 cup
- Dry ice
Video on Youtube for the Experiment
What to Do!
- Pour milk into the glass bowl.
- Pour cream in it. The ratio of milk to cream is 1:2. For example: for one cup of milk, add two cups of cream.
- Add a cup of sugar into the bowl.
- Mix the milk, cream and sugar.
- Using a hammer crush the dry ice into fine powder. ( Make sure to make it into fine powder)
- Put crushed dry ice into the bowl.
- Keep on stirring till the mixture hardens.
- Your ice cream is ready.
Images for Instructions
Working Principle of Dry Ice Ice-Cream:
In this experiment, we add dry ice to the mixture of milk, cream and sugar. As soon as we add dry ice to this mixture, it starts to bubble and release gas. The gas is nothing but carbon dioxide. The dry ice freezes the fat in the cream and the whole mixture solidifies which gives it an ice cream like texture. It has a different taste due to the carbon dioxide released during which gives a little fizz to your homemade ice cream.
So, now you know how to make ice-cream in just few minutes at home! Enjoy your fizzy ice-cream with some chocolate sauce or your favourite topping.
Science Box for Kids by Zlife Education :
- New Experiments every Month.
- Shipped to your door step
- Conduct hands on activities at Home
- Age 7+
- Over 12+ Cool Science Topics – Rockets , Chemistry, Electronics, Polymers , Engineering, Magnets, Forensic, Colors and dyes, Kitchen science +more
- Delivered across India
- Subscribe Now