Chemistry Rocket Launcher
Chemistry Rocket Launcher is a fun science experiment for kids to do at home in which they launch their chemistry rocket with an effervescent tablet acting as fuel for the rocket. It’s quite thrilling to watch how carbon dioxide gas can fuel the rocket to fly !
Safety First! Adult Supervision Required. Don’t Eat/Drink your Experiments, Wear safety goggles where ever required
Materials and tools required.
In the box
- Chemistry rocket
- Launcher tube
- Effervescent Powder (Eno)
Video on Youtube for the Experiment
What to Do
- Take the valve and slowly move the handle. You can see the opening and closing mechanism.
- Place one washer at one end of the valve
- Attach the valve tightly with the bottle.
- Place another washer at the other end and attach the bottle tightly with the valve.
- Open the valve and empty the ENO packet into the bottle using a funnel.
- Pour 70 ml of water in the bottle using funnel and immediately close the valve.
- Let the pressure build-in for a few seconds.
- Now, test the launcher with the cotton first, dip the cotton in water and push it in the launcher tube.
- Open the valve and launch it to watch it fly.
- Similarly launch your rocket after adding ENO and water, place the rocket above the launcher tube and release the valve.
Images for Instructions
Working Principle of Chemistry Rocket Launch Experiment :
In this experiment, ENO powder is the fuel for the rocket. It contains citric acid and sodium bicarbonate which in dried form they remain un-reactive but when we add water, citric acid reacts with sodium bicarbonate to convert them into a large amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) and water.
This carbon dioxide (CO2) pressure gets built inside the bottle and when the valve is released; this accumulated pressure acts as thrust for the rocket and instantly pushes the rocket up in the air.
You can quickly release the pressure in the bottle and can see your rocket going high in the air
Science Box for Kids by Zlife Education :
- New Experiments every Month.
- Shipped to your door step
- Conduct hands on activities at Home
- Age 7+
- Over 12+ Cool Science Topics – Rockets , Chemistry, Electronics, Polymers , Engineering, Magnets, Forensic, Colors and dyes, Kitchen science +more
- Delivered across India
- Subscribe Now